Rustic Plum Tart
Plum season is coming to a close here in the Bay Area. The trees in my Oakland neighborhood are heavy with this delicious fruit. So, before they are all gone, why not make this Rustic Plum Tart recipe? It’s sooo good!
Rustic Plum Tart
- Parchment paper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 ½ pounds plums, sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup plum preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ (15-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Sweet Cream Topping (optional)
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together plums and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Unroll piecrust on prepared baking sheet. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
4. Drain plum mixture, reserving liquid. Toss plums in flour.
5. Mound plums in center of piecrust, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold piecrust border up and over plums, pleating as you go, leaving an opening about 5 inches wide in center.
6. Stir together egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush piecrust with egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar.
7. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Carefully transfer tart on parchment paper to a wire rack; cool 20 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, bring reserved plum liquid to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool slightly. Brush or drizzle 1 to 2 Tbsp. hot plum liquid over exposed fruit in center of tart. Serve immediately with remaining plum syrup, and, if desired, Sweet Cream Topping.
Sweet Cream Topping: Stir together ½ cup sour cream and 2 tsp. brown sugar. Cover and chill 2 hours before serving. Stir just before serving.
Peach-Nectarine Tart: White peaches won’t work as well in this tart because of their delicate texture. Prepare recipe as directed, substituting ¾ lb. peeled nectarines and ¾ lb. peeled peaches for plums and peach preserves for plum preserves.
Apricot-Almond Tart: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting fresh apricots for plums and apricot preserves for plum preserves. Omit allspice.
Fresh Cherry Tart: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting 1 ½ lb. fresh cherries, pitted, for plums and cherry preserves for plum preserves.